Wednesday, June 20, 2007

One of Those Old Guys

Yep, that's officially me. Man, I NEVER thought I would actually be one of them but then it hit me last night. Where has time gone?

Ok, in the bigger picture of things I am still quite young. But last night after arriving in the beautiful coastal town of Ulcinj Montenegro after a full day of business meetings (in 35C heat), I rewarded myself with a quick dip in the sea, a nice long read on the last sandy beech on the Adriatic (as one heads north) and then took a sunset stroll (wait till you see the photos) along the old castle walls that protected the small harbor. Perfect. Just perfect. Several restaurants have embedded themselves inside the castle walls and have the most picture perfect decks to wine, dine and watch the sunset over the water. Which is what I did. Not to mention that Montenegro is worlds more advanced for tourism than Albanian. Great waiter service, wonderful seafood dishes (with menus slightly catering towards western pallets such as the fresh breaded fried calamari I had), and pleasant settings that make you want to have just one more drink.

As I was keeping to myself, my book (Peace at Any Price-about the entire UNMIK occupancy of Kosovo), and my camera to snap off some shots of the setting sun, I couldn't help but overhear the young couple next to me struggle at trying to order a half portion of the mixed seafood platter on special. I had to remark to them at the end of the 10 minute and 3 waiter ordeal, that I would be very curious to see what they ended up with. And with that comment we launched into a meal conversation about how I had arrived on that deck at that particular time. Seeing that they were both 21 year old Juniors at Carnegie Mellon in the States taking a couple months off to backpack on the cheap around the Balkans, they appeared unable to get enough of my stories of why, where and how. What did I study in college, how did I get overseas, (first where but then) what is Kosovo like, how can they end up doing what I do...

And then it hit me. I remember being EXACTLY them trying to spend no more than $5/day staying at some of the roughest places and traveling on the worse possible transports but somehow loving every minute of it. And then coming across one of those guys that just seemed to be out there on his own doing whatever he has chosen to do. For better or for worse, I know I was in awe of some of those folks but also thought that they seemed to be really a bit 'out there'. All I can say is that if I was able to impress upon them to follow their hearts and passions and to let it lead them to wherever they want to end up on the planet, then I am proud to be remembered as that old crazy guy they met eating a randomly sorted fish platter that cost them double the negotiated price.

5 comments:

Sandy said...

Blog surfing...love the fact that I can read about someone on the other side of the world. Have fun at the beach. I will be at a beach in South Carolina (USA) in late July.

noahbird said...

Dude, you were that 'young' crazy guy when we met in Thailand. Being the 'old' crazy guy is just a natural progression

Dan said...

That's a great posting, Todd. It really hits home. I think the truth is more and more people will feel like you as the world grows smaller and smaller. Good story.

chasman said...

i concur - you were the old crazy guy in San Francisco! and i was the older, crazy guy in a start up, giving you sagely advice.

I am the old guy with a child now, trying to figure out my next "crazy" vacation.

cheers - great to read the updates. You are the true Tbird!

Unknown said...

I have that conversation over and over. People are fascinated by tour directors as well. It seems like such an "unreal" job that they can't know enough about it. Also amazed I went from cutting my teeth in retail at Famous-Barr to selling Saturns to being the service manager at Saturn to leading tours and owning my own company. They always seem in awe. It just seemed the right path to me. Perhaps to you too? Maybe its growing up in the Reagan years with the "80s Hair Bands" that made us reflect and choose the path LESS taken rather than running like lemmings to traditional careers with our classmates. (And yes, I had the Mall Bangs with enormous hot rollered, hairsprayed, gelled hair.) But I turn 36 this year and sometimes wonder if I started traveling too late as it is...