Thursday, September 06, 2007

Am I contagious?
As many of you already know, my girlfriend injured her knee only several weeks after we began seriously dating which will require ACL surgery. Not only this but as with my 'double injury' she too had originally fallen 6 months ago doing the original damage but had given it many months to heal until she went roller blading and just by pushing the knee out laterally it blew out the joint. So for the past 3 weeks she has been limping around waiting for the surgeon to arrive from Austria to perform the operation at a local (good) clinic. But now after the 3rd postponement due to equipment breaking, or him not arriving or some other excuse, she needs to look elsewhere in Serbia or Croatia. Her recovery will also be at least 2 months. So with my bad shoulder and her bad leg we are quite the couple.
.
Lets Do Lunch (not really)
Lets Do Lunch (not really)As common as the lunch date (for business or pleasure) seems to be internationally, I have learned that Kosovo seems to put its own unique twist on things. See, most people only have exactly an hour to 'eat' a meal which is generally expected to be taken mid-day. Well first off, according to cultural traditions, lunches used to big family affairs that would take place later in the day. Subsequently many Kosovars do not eat around noon (or apparently any other time). So this 'lunch break' is actually taken to meet friends over a machiato (coffee) and socialize at the ever so popular outdoor cafes. Every place is packed and people are dressed as if they are ready to hit the town. Boys at one table, girls at another. And NO ONE actually eating. If they are actually hungry I have seen (and heard) that many will buy and bring food back to the office to eat at their desk sometime later in the day. Or, they opt not to eat at all and wait till returning home at 5 for the big meal of the day. Too bad I seem to have to break into my own private chips stash in my desk each day by 11:30. However I am becoming keen on the excellent local machiato's that Pristina is (apparently regionally know for).
.
What's it Worth to You??
Apparently not enough since I didn't buy it. But man, I wanted to. Having just made a batch of fresh French toast last week I had to satiate my western taste buds with honey instead of our beloved syrup (which you can't buy here). But then during my last shopping trip to the local hypermarket, there is was. A small jug of Canadian Maple Syrup!!! Two of them in fact. Oh my Gosh!!! Almost tripping over my cart I dove for the bottle scooping up both of these prized possessions. Unfortunately this moment was shattered as I happened to glance at the price before darting off to the check-out counter. 19 euros--$26.60 each!!! Even I could not bring myself to pay this ridiculous price despite my craving. In the bigger picture of things, honey works fine. Just look out next time I be with any of you stateside and I order pancakes or French toast:-)

No comments: