Wednesday, December 20, 2006

A Happy Holiday Wish

Well even in the Balkans where it is predominately Muslim, the holiday spirit still thrives (with Ramadan and their excessive use of Christmas lights as a ploy to colorize the drab city while reducing the limited power supply even more). As I prepare to head off and explore Turkey single handily (get the pun?) for this holiday season, I wanted to pass along my electronic card to all of you by sharing a random list of top 10 (if you will) things that make me blessed to be alive and riding this journey that some higher power must have put me on (who would really pick Kosovo to spend two years of their life). I send you all the warmest of wishes during this special time of year and wish I could give everyone of you a hug of gratitude for being in my life.

1. My Mental and Physical Health: although the mental I know is suspect and challenged everyday living in my new home, without the use of 1 arm has helped me realize even more how I seem to abuse myself but need to do it within limits to stay in one piece.
2. Spencer: a cute little rubber dinosaur that my dear friend Carol and I found sitting on a sidewalk in NYC. So we adapted him and ever since he has joined each of us on some of our amazing adventures (joint-custody arrangement) and brings a smile to my face every morning in the shower .
3. My family: who may never fully understand why I do (join the crowd) what I do but who have always been there for me, unconditionally. This includes my cutest of 'nieces' who continue to grow up between each time we skype and remind me how much I miss being around little kids that force us mature adults to be present, every minute of every day.
4. My friends: who mean the world to me and provide me the inspiration to keep the adventure alive and to follow a dream of making this world a better place (and having as much fun as humanly possible while doing it).
5. The internet: for without it I would be lost in another world being unable to blog, text, email, skype and video with all of you who keep me connected to 'the real world'.
6. Yoga: not having any classes or teachers to choose from out here I realize how much I miss my own growth and passion for practice/ but all the while am now able to gift what I know to many new friends in Kosovo who attend my classes weekly.
7. Fresh air: of which we have very little of and I miss more than I thought was possible.
8. Electricity: the source of all things warm, bright, colorful and productive.
9. Me: I know it sounds conceited but I guess I just still appreciate this crazy curiosity I have to continue learning a new place, culture, people, language all the while trying to discover who I really am and why I am on this planet.
10. Love: the most powerful and beautiful of forces that just seems to bring it all together.

Happy Holiday and a Merry New Year!!!!!

No comments: